The stores listed on our fly shop resource page will be able to fill most of your needs for SoCal salt water flies. But it’s likely that somewhere down the road you’ll find that “over the counter” flies aren’t exactly what you’re looking for. If you don’t tie flies, or don’t have time, custom fly tying may be the answer!
You won’t find the Mashup in any fly stores!
Maybe you want a hot local pattern that hasn’t made it to a catalog yet. Or maybe you want features that you can’t find in the store, such as:
- Certain colors or color combinations
- Amount and/or type of flash
- How bulky or sparse the fly is tied
- Weed guards
- Eyes (or not)
- Weighting, or for flies like Clouser Minnows, larger- or smaller-than-normal bead eyes
- The right size (larger or smaller)
- A particular style of hook
If that’s the case, you can turn to a custom fly tyer for help. There’s usually a minimum order quantity, but you’ll probably be able to get just what you want. Try giving one of these folks a call or message on their social media platform. They’ll be happy to discuss what they can do for you!